The Warren D. Allen Music Library at FSU is one of the major music libraries of the southeast and one of the oldest on our campus. It was founded alongside the College of Music in the early 1900s. Originally located in College Hall, the College of Music and its library were relocated in 1911 with the completion of the new Main Building, what is now Westcott. By 1911, the School of Music had six faculty members and Ella Scoble Opperman was the director of the school. In the same year, the first bachelor’s degree in music was awarded by vote of the faculty.
In 1949, the Music Library moved into the then-new Kuersteiner Music Building. In 1956 the library’s holdings increased substantially when Warren D. Allen, retired professor of music history and literature at FSU, donated a large portion of his collection to the College of Music. The library was rededicated to Warren D. Allen in November of that year.
By 1969, the Music Library had outgrown its space in Kuersteiner and was relocated to a temporary location next to the school. In 1971, the Library was moved to the basement of the Longmire Alumni Building.
Shortly after this move, university administration and recognized the need for a space dedicated to the College of Music. Plans began for a new music building, but as of 1974, no construction date had been set. In 1977, the Home Management House building, which was run by the College of Home Economics, was torn down to make room for the new music building. Construction began in 1977 and the new music building opened in the fall of 1979. The music library was moved to the west wing of the new building.
Since 1999, the Music Library has functioned administratively under the College of Music, but there is significant collaboration. Collection development and management is handled within the Music Library.
The collections include over 80,000 scores, 27,000 books, and 42,000 albums and CDs. Seven full-time staff, including three faculty librarians, are available to help patrons with learning and research needs. The library also provides access to computers and equipment for sound and video playback.